Kill Chinese to solve debt crisis, says child on Jimmy Kimmel show
An episode of the US talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live has been pulled by US television network ABC which featured a segment in which children were asked to offer suggestions on how to resolve the recent government shutdown, with a 6-year-old suggesting that everyone in China should be killed so that the US government would not have to pay back its debts, reports the Chinese-language website of the Global Times, run by the Chinese Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily.
This suggestion prompted the children taking part to debate whether the Chinese would want to kill Americans too and if Americans should build a wall to prevent Chinese from coming over to demand repayment. Kimmel found the discussion hilarious and wrapped up the show by teaching the children that people should pay their debts so that others would be willing to lend them money in the future.
The discussion created huge controversy and a good deal of anger in the US. A petition has been submitted to the White House's website to demand an investigation into the show. The petition said Kimmel and ABC should have realized that the show was inappropriate for broadcast because it would promote racial hatred and that the show had echoes of the rhetoric used in Nazi Germany. It blasted the episode for being distasteful and unacceptable, demanding the episode be cut.
The episode has also drawn the attention of Chinese internet users. A netizen who goes by the name "Wupeng" said US education must be terrible as the children did not seem to value human lives at all. Other internet users said people should not take the whole matter so seriously since the children were speaking in jest.
- 01.Burned Fujianese girl grows new face for transplant
- 02.PLA's latest torpedo and Hongqi-16 missile pass trial launches
- 03.PLA Navy would lose 40% of its fleet to sink a US carrier: report
- 04.PLA designing long-range stealth bomber
- 05.PLA electronic reconnaissance ship in Hawaiian waters
- 06.Kill Chinese to solve debt crisis, says child on Jimmy Kimmel show
- 07.PLA's DF-15C missile can carry bunker buster: report
- 08.Chinese girls are easy, says US pick-up artist Roosh V
- 09.Mobile 5 naval exercise hints at future PLA carrier battle group
- 10.Scarlett Johansson spotted on location in Taipei
- Ma Biao is the vice chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference. A native of Guangxi, he was born in ...
- Xinhua: Details of Bo Xilai's trial
- The Diversified Employment of China's Armed Forces
- Full text of President Ma's New Year's Day address
- Hu Jintao's report at 18th Party Congress
- Xinhua:Details of the trials of Wang Lijun
- Xinhua: Details of intentional homicide trial of Bogu Kailai, Zhang Xiaojun
- President Ma Ying-jeou's Inaugural Address
- President Ma Ying-jeou's National Day Address
- Hu Jintao's Speech at CPC 90th Anniversary
- President Ma's New Year's Day Message